Monday 6 April 2015

WSS Danish - Regiment Prince Carl

There have been quite a few distractions of late, what with some new projects and a recent wargame AAR that I may post about (but without pics, as I managed to lose the camera).  However, I have finally finished the third of my Danish War of the Spanish Succession (WSS) regiments, thus completing Bielke's Brigade as part of my planned reproduction of Scholten's Danish command at Blenheim.  The previously completed regiments are the Livgarde til Fods and Prince George's Regiment.
As before these are Blue Moon (15mm/18mm) figures and my painting guide was a combination of CS Grant's books (The Armies and Uniforms of Marlborough's Wars Vols I & II) and the booklet by CA Sapherson (the Danish Army 1699-1715), both from Caliver.
Learning as I go, I made the contrast between the shade coat and the top coat as great as possible this time: the coats are a dark grey base overpainted with light grey and the facings and breeches are ochre overpainted with yellow.
I generally prefer Revell Acrylics, typically because the Tamiya paints I sometimes use can leave a slight sheen and I like my figures to be matt.  Also, if the Revell paints start to dry out a bit you can just add cold boiled water to them to thin them up again.

Anyway, a slight pause now for the WSS whilst I get on with a few other projects.  I have another three Danish regiments to paint, representing Rebdorff's Brigade, and then it's a toss up between choosing more Allies or painting up a few regiments of French to balance up the available forces.

5 comments:

Phil said...

What a beautiful regiment, excellent job, and great flags as well...

Ray Rousell said...

Great looking troops! Love those flags!!

Neil Scott said...

excellent looking unit

THGC said...

Not sure if my comment was left so I will try one more time. Nice looking figures. You don't see many painted Danish regiments on the web. FYI, I am publishing a new GNW resource if you are interested:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Historical-Game-Company-LLC/1458809827724208?fref=photo

The Wishful Wargamer said...

Thanks Steve - I'll take a look. Cheers WW